Tuesday 19 August 2014

My Favourite Healthy Meals & Snacks!






I love a good pizza and I'll usually never turn town a slice, but every once in a while I enjoy eating as healthy as I can. I admit, I don't eat healthy as much as I should and I have no excuse as to why but hey, we all have our flaws. So if I'm not craving a deliciously cheesy pizza, pasta, or fries I like to opt for these options. on this post, you will see that I have posted 2 breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas. These are foods that I enjoy and consider healthy and if you wish to recreate these ideas feel free to modify them in any way that you like and be sure to let me know what you did differently and what you thought of my ideas!


Breakfast!

So for breakfast, these 2 ideas have been my favourite ever since I was a child. They are super easy to make and only take about 5-10 minutes.

Fruit Smoothie
This is as simple as it's name. Using my blender, I throw in a cups worth of frozen berries. 
a handful of raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple and watermelon.
I sometimes also like to add a scoop of flax seeds and a scoop of strawberry protein powder if I'm feeling extra hungry. Once I blend my ingredients together I check to make sure the consistency is not too thick, since I don't want to eat my smoothie with a spoon. I add small amounts of water and blend. I do this a few times to make sure it's perfect. For the days when I add my protein powder, instead of water I'll use almond milk. it makes it blend and taste better. For this smoothie I choose to exclude any kind of juice or yoghurt because they are both loaded with unnecessary sugars. and besides, there's already sugar in the fruit. the kiwi, and watermelon really sweeten this smoothie up! I encourage you all to try it! 


Avocado and Egg White Toast
Now this is something I could eat everyday
You'll need one egg, half an avocado and one piece of toast.
to start, I like to begin with separating my egg white and egg yolk. 
for this recipe, you will not be needed the egg yolk, but as always, you can keep it of you like. I would just  suggest making sure the yolk is cooked completely so you don't have a mess to clean up while eating it! =P
So, after separating my egg, I set it aside and cut into my avocado. I cut it into half and then slice it and place it on either pumpernickel or rye bread. Then I take my egg white I quickly pour it into a hot pan. Once it's done cooking I transfer it on top of the avocado and bread. I add a pinch of salt on top to give it a little flavour and that it.


Lunch!

Oven Roasted Tomato On Toast
 So for this, all you'll need is 
one small, ripe tomato, olive oil, oregano, and your choice of bread.
 I like to eat this with French baguette or whole wheat toast.
 So all I do is pop my bread in the oven which has been preheated to 350. Take out the bread after one minute. Then I thinly slice my tomato and place it on a cookie sheet and lightly drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with oregano, I leave them in the oven for about 3 to 5 minutes, then take them put and place them on top on the bread. And there you have it!. Simple and delicious. Tip: Some people like to sprinkle salt on the top after the oven. the choice is yours! =)

Spicy Lettuce and Turkey Roll-Ups
This is like a wrap, without the bread. All I do it take a washed lettuce leaf, place a slice of deli turkey on top and drizzle on Franks Red Hot sauce. then I roll it up and place it on a plate. I usually make about 5 of these and sometimes more, because I have a big appetite and I adore not only lunch time but hot sauce as well! So for this recipe, I always use turkey, I think it tastes best but Iv'e seen people make this with ham, roast beef, and chicken. so if you recreate this, let me know how you made it and how you liked it!

Dinner!

Buffalo Chicken Wraps

This is by far my favourite dinner that I make. I start off by defrosting chicken.(this usually takes a few hours) 1 breast per person. next I start to prep my buffalo sauce. I don't have exact measurements for this, I'v just come to know how it is suppose to look and taste. but I'll make some guide lines anyway. So I get out a bowl and put in about 1/2 cup of Low fat ranch. Then I add the same amount of Franks Red Hot. I usually add a bit more hot sauce, and taste test to make sure it's as spicy as I like, add more ranch if it's too spicy! so once my chicken is thawed, it's time to prep my veggies. I always use romaine lettuce, one to two leafs per wrap, cucumbers, green peppers and mushrooms and sometimes tomatoes if there's any available. Once I've finished slicing the veggies, I grate some cheddar cheese and then begin cooking my chicken. before I put the chicken in the pan I cut it all into bite sized cubes for easier eating. I then add a tablespoon of water to the pan and immediately add the chicken. I stir the chicken around every once in a while. once all the chicken is white, I find the biggest piece and take it out and cut it in half to make sure it's cooked thoroughly. I check about five pieces, you know, just to make sure! then I transfer the chicken into a mixing bowl and add in my buffalo sauce and mix them together until the chicken is evenly coated. So once that's done I get out whole wheat tortilla's and start assembling my wrap with all the veggies and cheese. once it's wrapped, I like to place it into the oven to heat everything up and to get some grill marks, which loo pretty fancy. This dinner is pretty quick to make. 20 minutes once the chicken is cut and ready to go!

Brown Rice Chicken Stir-Fry

This is the simplest of dinners! and it can be modified so much that everyone will enjoy it. To start I prep my chicken. I cut the chicken into bite sized cubes and drizzle General Tso over top to marinate for the day. Of course I only do this once the chicken is thawed out. when it's closer to dinner that's when I prep my veggies. I cut up peppers, celery, asparagus, broccoli, and mushrooms. then I grab a wok, heat it up and add a bit of water then chicken. I cook it until all the pieces are white, check the biggest ones to see if their cooked all the way through, if it is then I add my veggies. at this time I'm cooking one cup of brown rice. Tip: I like to over cook my brown rice a little bit to help get rid of the chewy texture. Careful not to burn yourself or your rice! so once my rice is done I leaved it covered and set it aside. I Then grab a mix of Arctic Gardens Asian style frozen veggies, which has water chestnuts, snap peas, orange and yellow carrots, and peppers. so I throw in a cup of that. once they have heated up to the same temperature as the other veggies I add in more General Tso, Mix, then add my rice. if I need more General Tso, I add it, if not I'll usually leave it or add Cajun to add some more flavour.

Snacks!

Greek Yoghurt, Berries and Granola

So for this all you need is one cup of Greek yoghurt, I like to use the Oikos Key Lime flavour. I scoop out a cups worth then add two tablespoons of granola. (I like the banana nut flavour) Then to top it off I cut up strawberries and raspberries and place them over the granola. and I'm done!

Frozen Fruit

One of my favourite snacks is frozen fruit, I love frozen bananas, mango, raspberries and blueberries. For this I usually buy frozen fruit instead of freezing it myself, store bought just turns out better! Haha. So I Just scoop out a cups worth and put it in the bowl. And I usually always go back for seconds. This snack is so easy to make and so delicious. Be sure to let me know which frozen fruit is your favourite!


All right, well I really hope you all enjoyed this post about some healthier options to try out, and if you do try them out be sure to let me know what you though and include any modifications! I'd love to see what you all created!!
                                    Xxoo-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment